When you need to move heavy objects, a hand winch can be the easiest and quickest solution. However, with all of the different types and brands on the market, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of hand winches available, as well as the key factors you should take into consideration when choosing one.
We’ll also recommend some of our favorite picks for different applications.
Without further ado, let’s get started (:
16 Best Hand Winches To Buy [Our Experts Picks]
When it comes to purchasing a hand winch, there are plenty of options available. Luckily we have analyzed the market and did the research. Here are the top picks we have found that you can buy confidently.
Capacity Heavy Duty Hand Winch, Hand Crank Strap Gear Winch with Steel Wire, Manual Operated Two-Way Ratchet ATV Boat Trailer Marine
$19.99 in stock
- ️High-Quality Structure-----Heavy Duty Steel Construction, Hardened Steel Gears. Gear Ration 3.1 : 1, High Carbon Steel Gears To Resist Wear And Last Longer, Superior Corrosion Resistance, Mooring Hook Equipped With A Safety Pawl, This Winch Is Solidly Constructed With High Quality Steel Wire Rope
- ️Two-Way Ratchet-----Mooring Hook Equipped With A Safety Pawl. Allows Forward And Reverse Ratcheting. Can Be Used To Lift Heavy Objects, Drag Boats,Or Volleyball Net, Ideal For Trailering Or Loading Boats, Personal Watercraft, And Lawn Equipment.
- ️Size-----Body Size (L x W x H):5.9 x 3.1 x 4.5'' , Small Portable Size That Won’t Take Up Much Space When Use Comfort Grip Handle-----Handle Length: 18.5cm/7.2'', Makes Cranking Easier, And A Comfort Grip Reduces Hand Fatigue.
BIG RED ATRT1061CR Torin 600lbs Capacity Manual Hand Crank Winch with 26.3FT Steel Cable
- Body Size (L x W x H) of this handle winch is 8.6 x 8.6 x 4.7'' (with handle), weighs up to 4.7 lbs, and featues a 26.3ft cable; Portable and suitable for various applications
- Portable 600 lbs capacity winch is designed using heavy-duty carbon steel with a zinc-plated finish for maximum strength and long-term use; Resistant to rust and bad weather
- Manual winch is fitted with an 7.3" anti-slip handle to provide a secure and comfortable grip for convenient cranking of the brake winch with cable; Save labour and turn easily
- Handle crank winch is used with heavy steel structure and hardened steel gear; Gear ratio is 3.1:1 to work efficiently; Mooring hook is equipped with safety claw that allows forward and reverse ratcheting
- Ideally used in multi-function such as: applying lifting sling your boat, trailer, truck and other outdoor sports
TYT 1200LB Boat Trailer Winch with 8M Steel Cable, High-Efficiency Transmission Ratio 4.1:1 Gear Hand Cable Winch with Hook, 2 Way Ratchet Crank Manual Winch for Jet Ski Boat Towing Pulley Drag Winch
- ❆【TYT Black Winch Capacity】The Heavy duty steel construction hand crank winch has pulling force for 1200 lbs / 550 kg, Steel Cable Length: 8m(26ft) ø 4.0mm, Mounting base size: 5.35in x 3.48in, Winch Color: black
- ❆【Special Surface & Gear】High quality zinc-black plating finish boat trailer winch for maximum strength and longevity that resists rust and corrosion. Hardened steel gears, high-efficiency transmission ratio 4.1:1. High carbon steel gears to resist wear and last longer.
- ❆【Handle Performance】Size: 21cm/8.26in,the curved handle of TYT cable winches makes it easier to turn, to move something 1200 lbs or less, anti-slip handle ensures a tight grip for less user fatigue and more productivity while cranking the manual small winch.
- ❆【Two Way Ratchet】Mooring hook equipped with a safety pawl, which can ratchet forward and backward. The ratchet winch can be used to lift objects, drag boats, or volleyball net, Ideal for towing or loading boats, personal watercraft, and lawn equipment.
- ❆【Package & Warranty】Standard mounting hole, small portable size, easy to install. The inner box package pass the 1-Meter rejection test, protect the product from damage. 365 days warranty, if you have any problems from our TYT gear winch, please no hesitate to contact us, we will provide 100% satisfaction solution for you. Please take a first step, join TOP YOUR TARGET, we will reach the goal together.
Heavy Duty Hand Winch 600Lbs Hand Crank Strap Gear with 8m Steel Wire Manual Operated Two-Way Ratchet ATV Boat Trailer Marine for Trailering or Loading Boats Personal Watercraft and Lawn Equipment
- High-Quality Structure - Heavy duty steel construction, Hardened steel gears. Gear Ration 3.1 : 1, High carbon steel gears to resist wear and last longer, superior corrosion resistance, Mooring hook equipped with a safety pawl. This winch is solidly constructed with high quality Steel wire rope, Diameter of rope: 4.2mm/0.16inch, The cable of the crank winch measures 8m/26.2ft long.
- Capacity - 600 lbs pulling capacity, Designed to provide excellent load lifting facility, solution for a wide variety of applications.
- Size - Body Size (L x W x H): 15 x 8 x 11.5cm/5.9 x 3.1 x 4.5" (Approx), small portable size that won't take up much space when use.
- Comfort Grip Handle - Handle length: 18.5cm/7.2", makes cranking easier and a comfort grip reduces hand fatigue.
- Two-Way Ratchet - Mooring hook equipped with a safety pawl. allows forward and reverse ratcheting. Can be used to lift heavy objects, drag boats, or volleyball net, Ideal for trailering or loading boats, personal watercraft, and lawn equipment.
New 2021 Trailer Winch – Durable Hand Crank – 3500 lbs Hand Winch with Cable
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: This portable winch is designed using heavy-duty carbon steel with a zinc-plated finish for maximum strength and long-term use. Resistant to Rust and bad weather.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Made from a solid body with sturdy steel cable wire, this hand crank winch provides superior lifting, loading, towing and trailing ability of up to 3500-pound cranking capacity
- WIDE APPLICATION: Use this crank winch to lift heavy equipment, move pickups, trucks, ATV, load boats, or lawn equipment. Ideal for construction sites, ships, automobile applications, and more.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLING: Fitted with an extra-long, anti-slip handle to provide a secure and comfortable grip for convenient cranking of the brake winch with cable.
- TWO WAY RATCHET: This manual winch is fitted with a sturdy safety pawl that allows forward and reverse ratcheting
HighFree Hand Winch 600 lbs Heavy Duty Hand Crank Steel Cable Gear Winch 27 Feet Cable Towing Winches for ATV Boat Trailer (600LBS)
- HEAVY DUTY WINCH - This winch is solidly constructed with heavy-duty steel, high quality steel wire rope and hardened steel gears. Can Support Up to 600 lbs.
- PARAMETER - Gear Ration 3.1: 1, Body Size: 5.9 x 3.1 x 4.5'' (L x W x H), Diameter of rope: 4.2mm/0.16inch, The cable of the crank winch measures 8m/27ft long, enough for Daily Use.
- DESIGN - The Ratchet Along with A Sturdy Hook Able to Work in Both Directions, Flexible Design for Adjustment. Mooring Hook Equipped With a Safety Pawl, Designed to Provide Excellent Load Lifting Facility.
- HIGH EFFICIENT - Extra long 18.5cm/7.2'' handle makes cranking easier and a comfort grip reduces hand fatigue.
- WIDELY USE - Can be used to lift heavy objects, drag boats, or volleyball net, Ideal for trailering or loading boats, personal watercraft, and lawn equipment.
Fulton 142430 Dual Speed Winch with Hand Brake - 3700 lbs. Capacity, 1 Pack
- 3,700 lb. capacity two-speed winch with brake one fast speed for quick pull-in, a second low speed for increased mechanical advantage 10 inch 'Comfort Grip' handle
- Shift lock design allows changing gears without moving the crank handle from shaft to shaft, just lift the shift lock and slide the shaft into the desired gear position
- Neutral free-wheel position allows quick line pay out without spinning the handle built in hand brake adds convenience and safety
- High-carbon steel gears for superb strength and long-term durability stamped carbon steel frame provides rigidity, important for gear alignment, and longer cycle life
- Designed for use with 7/32 inch cable up to 90 feet long - not for use with straps
Reese Towpower 74329 Trailer Winch,Silver
8 used from $35.14
- 1500 Lb. capacity and includes 20 Ft. strap and hook
- Zinc-plated finish for superior corrosion resistance
- Comfort grip handle makes it easy to hold while cranking
- Full-length drum bushing and oil impregnated shaft bushings minimize maintenance
- Gears are made of high carbon steel to SAE 1050 specifications to resist wear and last longer
VZCY 2500 LBS Capacity Heavy Duty Hand Winch,Ployester Strap Manual Portable Crank Winch for ATV Boat Trailer Truck Auto, Red
- 【High-quality material】Trailer winch whose surface is galvanized, has the greatest strength and life, and effectively prevents rust and corrosion. Heavy-duty steel structure, corrosion-resistant, strong and not easy to break, can bear weight. The winch strap is a nylon mesh belt with high strength durability and strong tensile force.
- 【Super performance】The pulling force of the heavy-duty steel structure winch is 2500Lbs/1134Kg, the cable length is 50mmx10m(32.8ft), the gear ratio is 4：1/8：1.The sturdy base can provide you with strong pulling force and reduce your physical exertion. (Please do not use manual winches to pull up overloaded objects)
- 【Ergonomic design】The portable non-slip handle provides you with a strong and firm grip and ensures safety. When you start the manual winch, it reduces your hand fatigue and effectively improves your work efficiency.
- 【Two way ratchet】Manual winch with cable is equipped with a safety pawl, allowing forward and backward ratchets. The ratchet winch can be used to lift objects and is very suitable for towing or loading boats, personal boats and lawn equipment.
- 【Application range】Towing winches are suitable for trucks, trailers, ships, ATVs and other mobile applications. Appropriate tools can reduce people's fatigue and increase work efficiency. (If you have any questions, please contact us, we will help you solve the problem)
OPENROAD Boat Winch 3500lbs Hand Winch, with 32ft Red Strap and 2 Speed switchable, for Boat Trailer Towing Winch
- 【Performance】: This heavy-duty hand winch has a pulling force of 3500lbs/1590kg, a carbon steel heat-treated shell, shaft and gear, and has excellent lifting and traction capabilities.
- 【Rugged and durable】: Professional galvanized treatment, resistant to bad weather, high-carbon steel hardened gear: primary speed ratio: 4:1 secondary speed ratio: 8:1, high efficiency transmission ratio, corrosion resistance, long service life, winch equipped High-strength anti-slip and wear-resistant strap, strap size: 5cmx10m / (1.5inx32ft)
- 【Two-way ratchet】: This hooked marine winch belt has been carefully designed and equipped with a hook with a safety pawl, which can ratchet forward and backward.
- 【Comfortable handle】: 25cm / 9.8in ergonomics and comfortable grip, labor saving ratio 75% to reduce hand fatigue, to ensure safety, easy to shake the crank.
- 【Body size】: (LxWxX) 9.8x6.2x7in, mounting base size (7.6x4in) standard mounting hole, small portable size, easy to install.
Fulton FW32000101 F2 Two-Speed Trailer Winch with Strap - 3200 lb. Load Capacity - Silver And Black - one size
$152.79 in stock
2 used from $146.68
- 3,200 pounds capacity, One-handed system shifts from high to low speed
- Dual gear drum operates smoothly
- One piece corrosion resistant aluminum frame and one piece corrosion resistant aluminum handle
- 4-position handle adjusts from 6 inch to 9 inch
- Includes strap guide, 20 foot heavy duty winch strap and all mounting hardware
Dutton-Lainson Company (WG2000HEX) Worm Gear Winch with Hex Drive - 2000 lb. Load Capacity
- 2000 lb. capacity
- 40:1 gear ratio (40 revolutions with handle to turn the drum one full turn)
- 5/8" hex drive can be operated by power drill with socket
- Powder coated copper bronze finish
- Includes removable socket handle for use when drill is not available
3 Ton Ratchet Puller With 35' Of 5/16" Amsteel Blue
- 3 TON RATCHET PULLER (W/35FT AMSTEEL BLUE)
Goldenrod 14825 Hand Winch 2-Speed 2500-LB
- 2500 lb. capacity
- Two speed operation - gear ratios of 17.3:1 in low gear, 5.4:1 normally
- 9-1/2" quick-attach handle with ergonomic molded grip
- TUFFPLATE zinc finish provides protection against rust
8MILELAKE 600lbs Hand Winch Hand Crank Strap Gear Winch Polyester Strap ATV Boat Trailer Heavy Duty
- Heavy duty steel construction. Hardened steel gears.
- Polyester webbed blue strap
- Capacity: 600 lbs.Length of Rope: 6m (approx. 20') Width of Rope: 2" Gear Ratio: 3 : 1
- Mooring hook equipped with a safety pawl. Forward & reverse ratcheting, single-speed gear offers a simple to use one-way crank
- Resistant to bad weather. Ideal use on pickup trucks, trailers and other mobile applications.
BTSHUB 600lbs/272kg Hand Winch, Heavy Duty Hand Crank Gear Winch, Polyester Strap with Hook, for ATV Boat Trailer Marine
- ✔Heavy duty steel construction. Hardened steel gears. Gear Ration 3.1 : 1, High carbon steel gears to resist wear and last longer, superior corrosion resistance,
- ✔Polyester webbed black strap. Handle size :21cm/8.2in, It is comfortable to hold, can ensure safety,shake the crank easily and reduce hand fatigue.
- ✔Pulling Capacity: 600lbs/272kg. Length of Rope: 6m (approx. 20') Width of Rope: 2" Gear Ratio: 3 : 1. The ATV winch is Ideal for loading/ dragging boats, lawn equipment or lifting heavy objects.
- ✔Mooring hook equipped with a safety pawl. Forward & reverse ratcheting, single-speed gear offers a simple to use one-way crank
- ✔The 600lbs Hand Winch is resistant to bad weather. Ideal for use on pickup trucks, trailers and other mobile applications.
What is a hand winch and what are its uses?
A hand winch, also called a manual winch, is a device that is used to wind or unwind a rope or cable. It consists of a spool that the rope or cable is wound around, and a handle that is used to turn the spool.
Hand winches are typically used to pull heavy objects, such as boats, trailers, and vehicles up a hill or out of a ditch. They can also be used to raise and lower flags, flagpoles, and sails.
Hand winches come in a variety of sizes, and can be purchased at most hardware stores.
How does a hand winch work?
A hand winch works by winding the rope or cable around the spool. The handle is then used to turn the spool, which tightens the rope or cable.
The more the handle is turned, the tighter the rope or cable will be. When the object being pulled reaches the top of the hill or is out of the ditch, the handle is released, and the rope or cable unwinds from the spool.
Watch the following video to have a clear idea of how a hand crank winch work and how powerful it is.
How do you use a hand winch?
Using a hand winch is relatively simple.
First, determine which direction you need to wind the rope or cable (clockwise or counterclockwise).
Next, attach the rope or cable to the object you will be pulling. Then, wind the rope or cable around the spool in the direction you determined earlier. After the rope or cable is wound around the spool, hold the handle and begin to turn it.
Continue turning the handle until the object is pulled to the desired location. Finally, release the handle to allow the rope or cable to unwind from the spool.
The different types of hand winches?
There are two main types of hand winches: worm gear and ratchet. Worm gear hand winches are the most common type. They are easy to use and require little maintenance
Ratchet hand winches are less common, but are often used for heavier loads. They have a more complex design and require more frequent maintenance.
What are the benefits of using a hand winch?
There are several benefits of using a hand winch, we can mention the following:
- First, they are relatively inexpensive.
- Second, they are easy to use and require little maintenance.
- Third, they come in a variety of sizes, so you can find one that is suitable for your needs.
- Finally, hand winches are very versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes.
How to use a hand winch safely and effectively?
When using a hand winch, it is important to follow some basic safety guidelines:
- First, always read the manufacturer’s instructions before using the winch.
- Second, never exceed the maximum load capacity of the winch.
- Third, be sure to attach the rope or cable to a secure anchor point.
- Fourth, use gloves when handling the rope or cable to avoid injuries.
- Finally, always inspect the rope or cable before use to ensure that it is not frayed or damaged in any way.
Following these safety guidelines will help you use your hand winch safely and effectively.
Tips and tricks for using a hand winch
Here are some tips and tricks for using a hand winch:
- When winding the rope or cable around the spool, be sure to overlap the turns. This will prevent the rope or cable from slipping.
- When pulling a heavy object, use two people: one to hold the handle and one to guide the object.
- If the object being pulled is very heavy, attach the rope or cable to a vehicle for added stability.
- When lowering an object, be sure to control the descent speed by turning the handle slowly.
- Always keep your hands and fingers away from the spool while it is in use.
- Inspect the rope or cable regularly for signs of wear and tear. Replace it if it is damaged in any way.
- Store the hand winch in a dry, protected area when not in use.
By following these tips and tricks, you can use your hand winch more effectively and safely.
Are hand winches any good?
Hand winches are a great tool to have on hand (pun intended). They are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and require little maintenance. Additionally, they are very versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes.
How much weight can a hand winch lift?
The amount of weight a hand winch can lift will depend on the specific model. However, most hand winches can lift between 1,000 and 5,000 pounds.
How do you clean a hand winch?
To clean a hand winch, first, remove any dirt or debris from the spool. Then, wipe down the entire winch with a clean cloth. Finally, lubricate the moving parts with light oil.
How often should you inspect a hand winch?
You should inspect your hand winch regularly for signs of wear and tear. Additionally, be sure to inspect the rope or cable before each use. Replace the rope or cable if it is damaged in any way.
Can a hand winch pull a car?
Yes, a hand winch can pull a car. However, it is important to choose the right model for the job. Additionally, you should attach the rope or cable to a secure anchor point. Finally, use gloves when handling the rope or cable to avoid injuries.
How do you attach a hand winch to a car?
There are a few different ways to attach a hand winch to a car. The most common method is to use a tow strap or rope.
However, you can also use a chain or cable. Whichever method you choose, be sure to attach the rope or cable to a secure anchor point.
When should you replace your hand winch?
You should replace your hand winch if it is damaged in any way. Additionally, you should inspect the rope or cable regularly for signs of wear and tear. Replace the rope or cable if it is damaged in any way.
How much does a hand winch cost?
Hand winches vary in price depending on the specific model. However, most hand winches cost between $30 and $150.
- A Guide to choose the Best Car Trailer Winches
- How to choose the Best Portable Winches
- How to choose the Best Electric Boat Winches
- A Guide to choose the Best ATV winches
That’s it for our hand winch buyer’s guide. We hope you found this article helpful and that it gave you a good starting point when deciding which hand winch is best for your needs.
Remember to consider the factors we outlined, as well as any other specific needs you may have, before making your purchase.
if you are still confused then we recommend you go with 3 Ton Ratchet Puller With 35 which is beginner-friendly and easy to work with for most people.
finally, if you liked this article, please share it with your friends and followers on social media – thanks for reading.